> It's not just bloat, the network code is used millions of times per second.
> Mode setting happens occaisonally.

Using that logic then Sound cards shouldn't be in the kernel at all. I
never use my sound card continuely. I use it as a module. Would it be
acceptable if the mode setting was modular?

> The other problem is memory management. What is going to happen when fbdev
> starts setting the mode for both heads? Who is going to mananage the VRAM when
> the buffers get resized? OpenGL has a very complex memory management scheme
> where things can migrate from VRAM to AGP to system memory.

I know problems like this are going to exist. So I guess the idea of the
kernel supporting multi-desktops is out then. The ruby (linuxconsole)
project has two independent workstations running on the G400 dual head
cards. I guess that has to go :-(