It's not just bloat, the network code is used millions of times per second. Mode
setting happens occaisonally.

The other problem is memory management. What is going to happen when fbdev
starts setting the mode for both heads? Who is going to mananage the VRAM when
the buffers get resized? OpenGL has a very complex memory management scheme
where things can migrate from VRAM to AGP to system memory.

--- James Simmons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > You are mixing things. Mode setting has nothing to do with rendering. OpenGL
> > is a rendering client. It produces commands sent to the low level kernel
> > driver and provides a 3D API, but it's not the only one. In this regard,
> > fbcon is a client too and XFree 2D accel is another one.
>
> But we are rendering to draw fonts, clearing a area of the screen,copyarea.
> If we are to have a universal solution it needs to OpenGL. Either that or
> mode switching stays in the kernel.
>
> Speaking of bloat in the kernel. When will the crypto and TCP/IP stack be
> moved to userspace. The networking code alone is over 17 megs in size.
> Bloat bloat bloat.

=====
Jon Smirl