> > So? My sister still uses a P120, and is happy with it. Why should she be
> > forced to upgrade?

I think that is a bit petty really, please try and keep this
discussion some way in the bounds of logic, at some point you have to
throw away older systems, X works on these systems now, we want to build a
new version of X that works on top of newer cards using features of these
cards, the older systems can still use X as they do now however
development will slow on XAA drivers and newer applications will use newer
features stopping them from working on the older systems...

Just because we develop a new graphics sub-system, it doesn't mean you
have to run it, I belive there is space (if we merge fbdev functionality
into the drm) to build an XAA Xserver on top of it using the drm to do the
mode setting card resetting, pci access and any locking, it just won't run
3D apps, it can still run X/GNOME etc..

Dave.

--
David Airlie, Software Engineer
http://www.skynet.ie/~airlied / airlied at skynet.ie
pam_smb / Linux DECstation / Linux VAX / ILUG person