On Sad, 2004-06-12 at 00:53, Ian Romanick wrote:
> I think I would actually prefer it if the 3D were named unichrome_dri.so
> and the DDX were changed.  The reason being that there will likely be
> future "via" chipsets that may share the 2D driver but not the 3D.  The
> current situation of ati_drv.o and mach64_dri.so, r128_dri.so,
> radeon_dri.so, and r200_dri.so shows what I'm talking about.  It would
> have been really confusing if r128_dri.so had originally been named
> ati_dri.so.

I talked to VIA about this in the early days. They pointed at ati_drv.o
as an example of why they should be able to use via as the top name for
all their chipsets 8)

Its also now crept into multiple vendors config/distribution tools and
into users config files.

The _dri.so file OTOH seems to be fair game without breaking anything,
and I agree