Alex Deucher wrote:

Sorry for the top reply, but I couldn't get the formatting right. Anyway, perhaps we could use the 3d driver name to differenciate
between the drivers: via_dri.so - closed source; unichrome_dri.so -
open source. we could then have the DDX probe for one first then the
other or we could add an option to choose which. That way the DDX
would stay in sync as it gets updated since there'd only be one.

I'm not sure how that would work. The client-side libGL asks the X-server, "What's the name of the client-side 3D driver?" The X-server either responds that there is none or it sends back "foo". The client-side libGL then converts "foo" to "<path>/foo_dri.so". If that driver fails to initialize, it falls back to indirect-rendering. There isn't anyway for the X-server to say, "Try 'foo', and if that fails try 'bar'."

I think the easier answer is to have people make a symbolic link from via_dri.so to unichrome_dri.so. :) That's what I did (in the opposite direction) to get the 3D driver in Mesa to work with the 2D driver in Xorg. I don't know how people feel about that, though.

From Windows to Linux, servers to mobile, InstallShield X is the
one installation-authoring solution that does it all. Learn more and