On Friday 10 June 2005 11:09, Jon Smirl wrote:
> Linux only allows one device driver to attach to a device like the
> radeon. Right now this driver is radeonfb. When DRM loads it uses the
> radeon hardware without attaching to it and informing the kernel. What
> DRM is doing is not compatible with hotplug. DRM enables the
> framebuffer without reserving it's PCI address. Since the kernel
> doesn't know about this a hotplug device can get assigned an address
> on top of the framebuffer. That would cause a hardware conflict and
> probably result in a reboot.
>
> My solution to this is to make radeon DRM depend on radeonfb. radeonfb
> properly attaches to the device and marks everything in use. I chose
> this method because Xegl wants radeonfb loaded and this scheme has
> minimal code impact.

This seems like an odd solution.  Why wouldn't you just enable multiple
drivers to attach to the device?

> Can everyone please try this patch out and see if loading radeonfb
> causes any problems on your system. Having radeonfb loaded on x86 is
> not a normal case. Radeon Xegl is going to depend on having both
> radeon and radeonfb loaded so I need to know if this will cause
> problems.

Last time I tried it, the console went blank (except for the cursor) somewhere
during runlevel 3 bringup, so I rebooted blind and went back to a kernel
without radeonfb.

> For a quicker check you can just do modprobe radeonfb from a console
> (not a xterm). That will load the current radonfb driver but it will
> also blank your console font. The blank is from a problem in radeonfb
> that is fixed in the patch. Type /sbin/setsysfont and the font will be
> restored and you can then check for any other issues.

~ % ls /sbin/setsysfont
ls: /sbin/setsysfont: No such file or directory

Where do I get this utility, and when can I expect this fix in a stable
kernel?

- ajax