On 6/10/05, Adam Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Friday 10 June 2005 19:38, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > Anyway, I really want a slightly different approach than what Jon is
> > doing, that is a 3 modules scenario:
> >
> >  - A basic "stub" module that attaches to the PCI card. It doesn't touch
> > the hardware per-se (thus won't break your VGA console, though radeonfb
> > without fb console shouldn't either, the problem you have is a bug).
> > That stub contains the "common" code like IRQ handling, card type
> > detection, maybe vram detection etc... And some locking facility
>
> See this is what I was thinking, was that there was an "fb" layer below
> radeonfb/atyfb/whatever, or alternately that there was a generic pci handler
> for each device.  Apparently radeonfb is the lowest level right now.

Why don't we start with a two module system which is already 90%
written. There is nothing stopping it from being split into a three
module system later. I'm not against the three module system I just
don't want to create more work to do.

There are three cases:
#1: fbdev only = base + fbdev
#2: drm only = base + drm
#3: both = base + fbdev + drm

The only user of case #2 is the current X server on X86. The next gen
Xegl server needs case #3. Embedded wants #1.

My issue is with doing a bunch of work to support case #2 since #2
will be eliminated by the new Xegl server.

If case #2 is eliminated the need for the three module system is eliminated too.
#1: fbdev only = base + fbdev
#3: both = base + fbdev + drm
base and fbdev are alway used together, what is the point in splitting them?

Case #2 only involves desktop class systems, not embedded ones. Why do
a bunch of work to get back 50K of RAM on a desktop system with 500MB
of RAM when the case is going to be phased out. If Xegl fails we can
always go back and split fbdev to make the third module and recover
the ram.

--
Jon Smirl