Hi!

> On 6/21/05, Alex Deucher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> future
>> >
>> > Can XvMC needs be handled via the V4L interface? I would expect an
>> > some point relevant V4L drivers will also get integrated into the
>> > DRM/fbdev composite driver.
>>
>> the problem is v4l is linux specific while XvMC is X specific and
>> hence multi-platform, plus it has ties to Xv, which would need to be
>> handled as well.
>
> Don't we already have an Xv for V4L driver for X?
> Can't XvMC follow the same model?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't V4L primarily for video capture?
besides there is no way I'm going to redesign everything and make a V4L
driver out of it.

XvMC is very similar to OpenGL in it's use of the hardware. It uses the
same DMA command engine and it renders directly to the frame buffer,
either to an offscreen area which is then communicated to the video
engines, or directly to the visible frame-buffer and hence needs the DRI
drawable management. There is very little logical difference between
"render this texture" or "render this macroblock". Besides, if V4L needs
to use the same DMA command engine it still would need to talk to DRM.

Still, this isn't really the point. I'd like to see drm available for
other applications than OpenGL in the future. If drmAddMap goes away, I
can live with that, but I'd probably would have to implement a
device-specific non-root "Hi, I'm the master, get me a handle to clean
sarea that other clients can map" IOCTL when it's needed, and, as I see
it, that wouldn't interfer with your work.

/Thomas