On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 3:57 PM, Richard Sims <r...@bu.edu> wrote:
> As I indicated, I have been attempting to bring our 1.7 implementation up to
> a 3.1 level. Across that void there have been substantial changes.

I'm sorry, I misread 1.7 as 1.8. You're right, of course.

> Please don't expect DSpace adopters to be Java programmers. It's bad enough
> that mortals have to delve into trees of XML files to make intricate changes.
> There needs to be straight-up, useful documentation of DSpace parameters. No
> one should have to spend hours trying to divine what cryptic parameters are
> all about. And I say this as someone who has been doing systems work and
> documentation for 30 years.
> Frankly, I'm appalled at how primitive DSpace is, and what people have to go
> through to tailor it. This is not 21st century stuff - it's more like what we
> went through in the 1980s to configure systems. DSpace is giving open source
> software a bad reputation in having gross deficiencies like this.

I'm aware that our documentation has its problems in many areas,
unfortunately. As you surely understand this is a purely volunteer
effort and manpower is a problem - moreover, there are not many
experts available for specific areas like this one. If you happen to
figure out your problem, we would appreciate if you could rewrite
whatever you feel is lacking in a manner that will be easy to
understand for future visitors. Editing the wiki is not restricted and
only requires registration. We're giving edit access to the offical
documentation on request (to prevent spam) - simply send us your
Jira/wiki username.

Good luck with your DSpace implementation and sorry I couldn't help in
this case.

Regards,
~~helix84