Mobile duplexers work very well.

Repeaters have been built for years with the mobile duplexers inside the
repeater enclosure with very good performance.  If replacing the cables and
moving outside I would think the cables were the problem and not where the
duplexer was.

Since you replaced the cables this is probably the solution and not the moving
the duplexer outside.  This tells me the repeater had poor cables to start with.

73, ron, n9ee/r