James KD0AJZ wrote: "My problem is that D-Star is not all that far from me but
I cannot talk on it while I am at my home. However I can walk yes, walk less
than a block and talk all day on it."

Sounds like a problem I've had with a nearby repeater.  That repeater's signal
strength is good at my location, but I cannot get through reliably, often only
as R2D2.

I've concluded I'm in an unlucky location where I experience multipath, and
DStar doesn't like multipath.  (The repeater's antenna is just on the other
side of the tall hill or mountain, and the top is between me and the antenna.)
Mobile, I make the repeater all over this area, but as I pull into my driveway,
it goes R2D2.

Solution for me was to put up a HotSpot using a Mini Hotspot board and the DVAR
Hot Spot software and a spare analog radio.  My DStar HT has no problem working
my HotSpot, which I typically connect to the "local" repeater.

I could also have gotten a DVAP, but that would have been a bit more expensive
and a little shorter range.  Alternatively,  the DV Dongle would also give me
access to DStar repeaters and reflectors.

If I were you, I'd borrow a directional antenna (Elk Antennas has a nice
dual-band LPA) to see if the problem is simply signal strength.  If that
doesn't fix it, you may be having multipath and you may want to go the HotSpot,
DVAP or DV Dongle route.   That would be cheaper than moving, I suspect.

   Jim - K6JM