True if you hold the e-gold, its ok.  But if you use there is a question.
And if you cash out, your screwed.  It is just too much accounting work to
tolerate.  That is why no legitimate tax paying business can afford to use
e-gold.  It will cause their accounting departments too much headaches.  It
is useful for non-taxpaying entities only.  And as such e-gold will always
have a very limited exposure.

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000 11:22:01 +1000, markab23 wrote:

>  It could be argued  that the question of capitalgain/loss does not occur
>  unless you 'cash in' or bail out your e-gold.
>
>  You are actually holding gold not a currency set against it as far as I
know.

>  Also tax offices also look at intention.  If you are holding gold as a
reserve
>  or as an investment the case for capital gain/loss is clear.  but if you
are
>  holding it for transactional purposes  the case is no clearer than if you
are
>  using fait funds for transaction purposes which also may rise and fall in
the
>  market against other currencies.  If you buy english oounds to buy
something
>  in the uk  and during the transaction the pound rises suddenly have you
made a
>  capital gain?
>
>  A capital gain is based on the investment of funds for into a investment
body
>  or subject which then returns a value ghigher than the original
investment and
>  only if the funds are then retrieved.
>
>  This might all sound niaive and tell me if it doesnt make sense.>=====
>  Original Message From [EMAIL PROTECTED] =====
>  >> I guess what I meant by "recognition" and as I think about it I
realize it
>  >> is a bad choice, is the IRS would recognize the receipt of e-gold as
an
>  >> income transaction and not a capital transaction.  If you could treat
1.00
>  >> in e-gold as income instead of worrying about capital gains and
losses, it
>  >> would not be a problem.
>  >>
>  >> Glencannon Group Ltd.
>  >>
>  >
>  >The problem isn't that receiving 1.00 in e-gold isn't considered income.
>  >The problem is that USD flucuates against 1.00 in e-gold. This is what
>  >capital gains/losses are.
>  >
>  >It is the same situation if you hold onto GBP, JPY, CHF, etc... The USD
>  >flucuates against them as well. The IRS doesn't claim that they aren't
>  >valid currencies.
>  >
>  >The only way to get rid of the capital gains/losses problem is to peg
1.00
>  >of e-gold to x amount of USD.
>  >OR...
>  >You could just clear out your account at every possible instant. That
way
>  >you can still accept e-gold, but not have the problem of capital
>  >gains/losses.
>  >
>  >Viking Coder
>  >
>  >---
> [...]

Glencannon Group Ltd.
http://www.glencannongroup.com/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (for a more secure email)
fax: 419-710-4339
_*_*_*_*_
For an e-gold funded Debit Card: http://www.glencannongroup.com/genucap/