> >I also suggest that SR would be better served by firing their
> >verification service and devising a real way to accomplish their
> >actual objective that is compatible with the interests of their
> >potential customers.
>
> Any suggestions?  We have been searching for a service that would
> be able to verify accounts worldwide.   So far we have only found
> US-based companies.

I'm glad to hear that.  It gives me some hope for the world outside
the US.

You do not have any need to "verify" accounts.  You don't need to
know the person's name or prove who the person is or that the
person matches some government identifying number.  All you need to
do is to establish that the money in the account belongs to the
person who controls the account.

Thirty years ago you could walk into a Savings and Loan in the US
and open a passbook account.  They might have asked for a name but
that was just for convenience and it didn't matter.  No ID was
requested or needed.  Possession of the passbook was ownership of
the account; that was what mattered.  That the cash depositied came
from your hand established prima-face that it was yours.  I suggest
this as a business model.

Your problem arises from trying to interface with a society which
has adopted incompatible business practices.  Don't.  Don't try
to take checks and credit cards which are payable to a person
you don't know and which therefore require you to identify
the person.

Find other ways to do busniess that are compatible with your aims
and those of your customers.  Instead use cash (western union,
perhaps) or giro transfers (like in the rest of the world) which
entail no such compromises.  There are thousands of "check
cashing" stores in the US these days; an arrangement with one of
the chains would go a long way towards enabling people to directly
deposit cash into one of your accounts.

CCS