I'll take a stab at a usefull suggestion.

GoldMoney implements a feature where you can define the return URLs as
part of your account setup.  You can also choose to allow those to be
overwritten by the form.

A feature like this for E-Gold would eliminate part of what you consider
risky.  But once an end user completes a sale they have that url.

I do like the idea of having the backend confirmation url hidden.
 Without a knowlege of what that url is it reduces the chance of a brute
force attack.

The MD5 hash of the transaction is not something that everyone verifies.
 That to me is the greatest security risk.

http://www.e-gold.com/stats.html lets you observe the e-gold system's activity now!