At 3:07 PM +0300 7/9/03, Danny Van den Berghe wrote:
>But when a private , in this case even secret, company goes public with some
>of its shares, it is only a natural outcome that these public investors will
>want to know at least a few things about it.

Agreed. I'm sure more information will come in time, but I'm also
sure that 100% of the people (possibly including you!) will never
be satisfied.  Others (including me!) will say that knowing who
Kenny Boy Lay is didn't help Enron shareholders very much...

>Otherwise they will be completely at the mercy of an unknown management...

I think 10% shareholders are indeed at the mercy of an unknown
management, but yet-another of those differences with "normal"
stock markets is that this unknown-management seems to *own*
that other 90% of the TGC shares. Wall Street scandals have hit
companies whose board and management interest is not aligned
with the interests of shareholders especially-hard, while nobody
much-worries about Warren Buffett's treatment of "his" Berkshire
Hathaway shareholders, since he has so many shares and such
a consistent record of profits. Berkshire Hathaway shareholder's
meetings are also said to be a lot of fun.
JMR