  From: Eric Crouch
  To: early-guitar@cs.dartmouth.edu
  Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 9:48 AM
  Subject: [EARLY-GUIT] Re: Little finger, RH

  There is a discussion of this point in "The Guitar and Its Music", by
  James Tyler and Paul Sparks (Oxford Early Music Series from OUP 2002
  - ISBN 0-19-816713-X) pages 259 - 60. They begin by quoting Moretti
  from 1799 who indicated that "The little and ring fingers of the same
  hand ought to rest on the table of the guitar in the space between
  the bridge and the soundhole or rose, close to the first string and
  nearer to the bridge than to the rose" Tyler and Sparks go on to say
  that the practice of placing the little finger on the table persisted
  well into the nineteenth century but interestingly I can't see that
  they cite any sources later than Moretti.

  Eric Crouch