-----Original Message-----
From: Lex Eisenhardt [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 12 October 2005 12:40
To: early-guitar@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [EARLY-GUIT] Re: Little finger, RH

attend to the motions of the thumb; but, as soon as my hand can properly
keep its position without that support, I cease to use it, in order that the
elevation of the lower part of the hand may allow me to attack the strings
with the fingers curved the least possible.'

The last part makes clear that his position probably was quite different
from what most lutenists do.

Lex

The passage is a wee bit ambiguous, as is your comment, Lex, about lute
players. Thumb under or out? Most lute players today use an early
Renaissance technique, even for baroque guitar. If they used a more
pertinent technique for the baroque guitar and lute, might they not be
closer to what Sor seems to be saying? I may have misunderstood you. Not
quite sure what you are getting at...

Rob