PS to my last post, I recently found "The Art and Times of the
Guitar" by Frederic V Grunfeld, Macmillan 1969 in a second hand book
shop. This is fairly lavishly illustrated including: "Girl Playing
the Guitar" (1847) by Gustave Courbet  which definitely shows a
little finger on the soundboard; and "Woman playing the
Guitar" (1897) by Auguste Renoir which appears to show it there;.

Eric Crouch