>>>Don't _all_ those various versions of the image to open the Carcassi
method feature a pinky plant?  It seems to me the famous image of Aguado
looks to have him with his pinky firmly planted on the bridge.

Eugene<<<

>From Aguado's Method: ''Some rest the little finger of the right hand on the
soundboard so as to give sureness to the hand when plucking''

He then goes on to plug his tripod - a device for holding the guitar in a
fixed position - which, he argues, makes it unnecessary to use the pinky. In
other words, if you don't use the tripod, use a pinky.

[BTW, not everyone knows what a pinky is - originally a Scots word (hurray!)
which found its way to America, and wasn't generally used in England until
very recently. I have had quite a few English students who don't know what a
pinky is. So for our non-Scots/American brothers and sisters: pinkie =
little finger.]

Rob
PS I mention this subject in a short essay on my website:
www.musicintime.co.uk. Click on Rob MacKillop, then 'The 19th-century Guitar
- Part 1'.