What about Living Downstream: A Scientist's Personal Investigation of Cancer and the Environment by Sandra Steingraber. It is now 10 years old, but provides a well written account of toxicity, environmental pollution, and the interconnectedness of people and the environment. I can't find my copy to see how well documented the book is, but it was a great read.

-Kelly Reiss

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kraemer, George" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 1:34 AM
Subject: [ECOLOG-L] summer reading with an ecologic/environmental theme

Our campus theme next year will be "environment."  Although it's defined
broadly enough to include all constituencies, it presents the opportunity to
reach about 500 freshmen with a back-door campaign of environmental
literacy.

I am soliciting the ECOLOG group for suggestions for pre-college summer
reading with an environmental theme.  It would have to be something that
would capture the minds of 17-18 year olds, and should lend itself to
discussions that might allow diverse discipline to have a say.

Barbara Kingsolver's "Prodigal Summer" or Michael Pollan's books came first
to mind.  But there must be other things out there that I've missed.  Since
this might be of interest to others, please respond to the list.

GPK
George P. Kraemer
Associate Professor of Environmental Studies and Biology
Chair, Environmental Studies Program Purchase College (SUNY)