Another fine book and predecessor to Pollan about the dietary and
environmental impact of corn is Richard Manning's "Against the Grain"

Bob A

-----Original Message-----
From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of William Silvert
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 10:28 AM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] summer reading with an ecologic/environmental
theme

I'm glad to see that you mentioned Michael Pollan. His "Omnivore's
Dilemma"
is not explicitly an environmental book, but his account of the impacts
of
corn cultivation in the US is an extremely effective presentation of how

agriculture impacts the environment, and given the current interest in
corn-based ethanol about as appropriate as any ecology book could be.
For me
it is the best book on the interaction of humans with our environment
that I
have read in years.

Bill Silvert