From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:ecolo...@listserv.umd.edu] On Behalf Of Fabrice De Clerck
Sent: Friday, 25 June, 2010 08:21
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: [ECOLOG-L] Humans in the definition of ecosystems

Dear Friends,

An environmental economist colleague of mine is disappointed with the CBD
definition of ecosystems which gives the impression that only pristine areas
are ecosystems. Can anyone point us to a more recent definition of
ecosystems that explicitly includes humans as an integral part of the
definition?

Here is the original question:

The CBD defines ecosystems as a dynamic complex of plant, animal and
micro-organism communities and their non-living environment interacting as a
functional unit.

I find this boring, as it leaves us humans, as special animals, out of the
picture. When you read it, it is easy to think of pristine environments. Has
there been any reaction or correction of this definition? I need an
authoritative quote that balances the CBD´s

All reactions welcome, and citations welcome!

Fabrice
Fabrice DeClerck PhD
Community and Landscape Ecologist
Division of Research and Development
CATIE 7170, Turrialba, Costa Rica 30501
(506) 2558-2596
fadecle...@catie.ac.cr

Adjunct Research Scholar
Tropical Agriculture Programs
The Earth Institute at Columbia University