I'm afraid I have far more radical ideas about humans and ecosystems.
In my opinion, humans are animals, not unlike any other animal on the planet. Any possible dichotomy between humans and other animals would be arbitrary from an ecological point of view, that is, anthropocentric. I believe that the big "difference" perceived between Homo sapiens and other organisms (not only animals) is merely the effect of the extraordinarily disproportionate interest we express for H. sapiens.

For instance, let's think at the Gaia hypothesis: does anyone think that the impact of H. sapiens on the biosphere is quantitatively and qualitatively more important than any species of denitrifying bacteria, or than cyanobacteria? How rapidly the biosphere biogeochemical cycles, which are at the base of any biological process on Earth, would change if a crucial procariote strain or lineage suddenly disappears? My educated guess is that such changes would be much more drastic than any "global change" induced by greenhouse gases released by H. sapiens in the atmosphere. Fortunately (also for us, I would say), such pivotal organisms cannot apparently be threatened by human activity on Earth. Analogous examples can be made for several species of insects, with huge biomasses and numbers of individuals.

I personally do not think that H. sapiens is the "dominant species" on the planet. Its ecological impact on the biosphere is gradually decreasing as we consider organisms that are less and less ecologically (and up to a certain extent, phylogenetically) related to (e.g. interacting with) H. sapiens. This is probably the main reason why we are the only hominid species on the planet, and why so few apes presently survive (most being at risk of extinction). This is the reason why H. sapiens drove the majority of mammal megafaunas to extinction much before industrialization, and one of the reasons why there are so many environmentalist campaigns for vertebrates than for arthropods, protists, or procariotes (apart from anthropomorphic and demagogical issues).

It is clear that the ability of H. sapiens (or better of some its populations) to modify its habitat for his own survival is driving the colonised systems to their carrying capacity, rapidly inverting its adaptive value. But "carrying capacity" is a concept based on "what must be carried by the system"... making this essentially a problem for H. sapiens and for "ecologically related" species.

Nonetheless, I think that the same permanence of this trait in our r-selective culture is indeed based on this obsolete dichotomy: H. sapiens and everything else. I think that as ecologists, we should be very clear on this point, if we propose to manage our habitats and co-evolve with other organisms by means of one of our best adaptations: mind.

It is often advantageous to focus on a single organism (e.g. H. sapiens or Aedes albopictus) or on a group of organisms, to address specific ecological problems. Nonetheless, I think that ecologists should promote and sustain a more holistic concept of ecology and ecosystems, with no permanent focus on a single portion or process; we reached the limits of our habitat: the biosphere must be managed as a whole, and all parts are important.

These my two cents.

Cheers,

Gianluca Polgar, PhD
Senior lecturer in Ichthyology and Ecology
Institute of Biological Sciences
Faculty of Science, University of Malaya
50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

skype: gianluca.polgar
http://www.mudskipper.it
gianluca.pol...@gmail.com