Dear dialogue participants:

"Definitions" imply authority, but are useful place-holders in the ongoing dialogue we have labeled "science," and the subset of intellectual enquiry we call "ecology." We accept such definitions provisionally, until a better one comes along; it is always useful to explore the most difficult questions--endlessly, you say? Of course, endlessly. In a dialectic, each participant wishes to convince the other of the validity of their concept; in a simple dialogue, the parties jointly explore phenomena. Chew this over--if you like. .

WT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Fabrice De Clerck" <fd2...@columbia.edu>
To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Friday, June 25, 2010 8:20 AM
Subject: [ECOLOG-L] Humans in the definition of ecosystems

Dear Friends,

An environmental economist colleague of mine is disappointed with the CBD definition of ecosystems which gives the impression that only pristine areas are ecosystems. Can anyone point us to a more recent definition of ecosystems that explicitly includes humans as an integral part of the definition?

Here is the original question:

The CBD defines ecosystems as a dynamic complex of plant, animal and micro-organism communities and their non-living environment interacting as a functional unit.

I find this boring, as it leaves us humans, as special animals, out of the picture. When you read it, it is easy to think of pristine environments. Has there been any reaction or correction of this definition? I need an authoritative quote that balances the CBD´s

All reactions welcome, and citations welcome!

Fabrice
Fabrice DeClerck PhD
Community and Landscape Ecologist
Division of Research and Development
CATIE 7170, Turrialba, Costa Rica 30501
(506) 2558-2596
fadecle...@catie.ac.cr

Adjunct Research Scholar
Tropical Agriculture Programs
The Earth Institute at Columbia University