I would suggest reading O'Neill, Robert V. (2001). Is It Time to Bury the
Ecosystem Concept? (With Full Military Honors, of Course!). *Ecology*, 82:
3275-3284.
The eminent authors concludes in the article there is need to make revisions
in the concept of ecosystem. Especially, as far as the role and place of
humans is concerned. He points out that the humans are the ultimate invasive
species in the ecosystem that alters both the biotic and abiotic components.
A must read and very interesting article.

Ajay Sharma
PhD Student,
SFRC, UF, Gainesville, FL