Debbie,

I would recommend that you have a 997 returned for safety sake in that the
trading partner cannot deny that the 824 was not received.  This is not
out of the ordinary.  Some trading partners resist the 997 to save money,
but at  a risk to opening them up to an issue of timing or he said she
said.

Is your trading partner aware that your intention is to not pay until the
errors are corrected?  In light of what your saying, it seems that this is
a LARGE issue in the overall scheme which could lead to LARGE
misunderstanding if the trading partner is not on board.

We use 824 with Wal-Mart and some others.  We do acknowledge all
transactions with 997 and we do investigate and retransmit 810's reported
in the 824 as having errors.   This is done on a trading partner by
trading partner basis as some don't do 824.   824 is usually built into a
back end process and gives us visibility behind the translator.  It's a
nice touch because we know that the invoice is processed and loaded for
payment if no 824 is received.  We don't see them often which assists the
EDI team in determining specific issues and routing them for the fastest
solution.  Most issues are issues dealing with business problems or
mal-formed transactions.  We advise and allow the business user to correct
the problems.  I would only use the 824 in the event that an error is
discovered.  If you use one for each invoice or inbound document received,
then you defeat the purpose....

Regards,

Mark