Brian Lehrhoff told Debbie Shaver that "[i]t's good form to always send
a 997 for any received document (unless, of course, the ISA flag is set
to zero), and to always expect a 997 if you send a document."

Brian is, of course, correct in that a 997 should be used to acknowledge
physical receipt of any functional group.

But as I told Patricia Markey, re: the TA1:

   ...the TA1 is returned only if the ISA14 (D.E. I13) Acknowledgment
   Requested indicator is 1.  This indicator is independent of, and
   has nothing to do with, whether 997s are returned; use of 997s is
   usually up to a trading partner agreement or convention.

See http://www.mail-archive.com/edi-l@listserv.ucop.edu/msg00644.html.
If I weren't made of such stiff material, my feelings would be hurt
knowing Brian doesn't read my stuff in much depth.

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.
4950 Blazer Memorial Pkwy.
Dublin, OH USA 43017-3305