Brian,

The ISA flag you refer to below does NOT request the 997. It is specifically
requesting that the TA1 either be sent or not. The exchange of the 997 is
totally an agreement between trading partners. There is no flag/switch
within the Interchance Control segments requesting the return of the 997.

Rachel

Here's one more vote for a 997.

The 997 says "I got a document you sent" not "I processed a document you
sent."  It's good form to always send a 997 for any received document
(unless, of course, the ISA flag is set to zero), and to always expect a
997 if you send a document.

In our business we guarantee delivery, and the receipt is the 997.

Debbie Shaver wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We are planning to use an 824 Application Advice transaction to indicate
> our trading partners that an 810 invoice they sent us had problems.
Should
> we request they return us a 997 to indicate they received the 824??  In my
> mind, I'm thinking the 824 is saying we aren't obligated to pay the
invoice
> until the errors are corrected....if we don't verify they received this
> transaction, we could potentially be dinged for a late payment.
>
> Are any of you doing the same thing??  Is the 997 really kind of
> redundant???
>
> Thanks in advance!!!
> Debbie Shaver
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]