From: Michael Mattias
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 10/22/00 3:01 PM
Subject: Re: Harbinger e5

On 10/22/00 Tim Cronin opined..

> It isn't EDI or XML, VAN vs. Internet.  A product has to support all
options
> with true any to any mapping capability..... It has to support
routing,
and
> intergration with major applications. The tool has to be just as good
for
> internal app to app integration as it is with external integration. I
would
> never buy a product that was just an EDI translator. I would also
never
buy
> an intercompany application to application integration solution that
didn't
> support EDI....

I must disagree. If I need to get from here (Racine WI) to an address
certain in Philadelphia PA, the *only* way to do that with a single
conveyance product is to take an automobile. Seems to me multiple
conveyances - taking the shuttle bus to Mitchell Field, an airplane to
Philadelphia and then renting a car to go to the address - is a much
better
application-specific solution.

Similarly, why not look at separate products to...
1. Communicate with a VAN/FTP site
2. Translate EDI and/or XML and/or whatever into a generic format.
3. Using a mapping product or 3GL program to integrate into the
application.

Mercator Software has a great "any-to-any" mapping product; but their PC
EDI
offering (Trading Partner PC/32) is, well, limited. (They should thank
me
for the kind word, "limited").

Harbinger/Peregine TLW has a very nice user interface for
operator-attended
communications and data entry, but it's so slow and just buggy enough
I'd be
loathe to use it in a high-volume batch environment.

Gentran/400 is really nice for taking inbound EDI and moving to a flat
file;
the outbound capabilities are not very powerful at all unless you're
pretty
handy writing application programs to put the data into a format it
likes.
TSI's Trading Partner/MVS has a great outbound API system - powerful if
you
can write programs, terrible if you don't; inbound, I find their "screen
definitions" and "extract formatting" to be really obtuse and usually
irrelevant in a mainframe environment.

What's so wrong with picking cherries based on the specific application?
Yeah, it's convenient to have everything in one product, but get real:
above
I list three very respected companies, none of which has a solution for
every possible circumstance, but each of which offers an outstanding
product
for at least one aspect of the total application requirement.

IMSNHO, a multiple product solution should never be 'off the table' from
day
one.

Michael C. Mattias
Tal Systems