Title: RE: Harbinger e5

As an ex-employee of Harbinger, I was saddened by Harbinger's push to compel customers to periodically register at the Harbinger network, and I can personally testify that most customers were not pleased by this 'feature'. Since the requirement to register and connect every 3 months brought absolutely no functionality to the otherwise pretty good Harbinger software, it always seemed silly to me to force it upon the user, especially when most customers were resistant to doing it, and it caused lots of problems for lots of customers.  To me, the only sensible features to include in your software are those that increase functionality or in some other way benefit your customers.

I currently work for Trinary Systems, which offers an excellent alternative for Unix and NT customers, and does include XML functionality.  Our Sales dept. can be reached at (248) 442-8540, or e-mail us at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Mike Lemon [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Thursday, October 19, 2000 11:59 AM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Harbinger e5

I received some documentation this week about the Harbinger e5 upgrade and
frankly, I'm PO'd.

First, they are essentially demanding we "re-purchase" the system for a
reduced price. If we do not upgrade, our current platform (4.1.4) becomes
will be unsupported after the end of the year. I'm no lawyer, but isn't this
getting awfully close to the definition of extortion?

Even more egregious, they demand that our EDI system connect to theirs to
"confirm compliance with this license agreement" and to send "information"
to Peregrine about our system. Whether we "opt-in" or not is utterly moot,
as the information still gets transmitted to them. Am I the only one who is
insulted by this? I'm all for electronic licensing and software download,
don't get me wrong. But this is more like big brother demanding we "update
his records" every month to ensure we aren't somehow "cheating" on our
license.

We are going to pursue other options. I'd be very interested in hearing
about other translation systems that are out there, especially XML-capable
ones.

Michael D. Lemon
Director of Information Technology
Americal Corporation