For me, as a developer, the key to the XML formatting structure is
flexibility.  The "Process of EDI" doesn't change with differing format
(X12/EDIFACT/XML-based).  I would answer your original question by saying
that by having an XML-based EDI format will allow one to reach new partners;
interact with new or existing partners in different and flexible ways; and
utilize new (and sometimes even effective <g>) automated processes to reach
your suppliers/customers. Does that sound enough like the verbage in the
trade mags?

Seriously though, I find the XML formatting structure of those clients I
help 'do EDI' allows them to gain the benefits of the "Process of EDI" and
still have flexibility in how that data gets moved around. It really is, in
my opinion, just a matter of moving bits around. The REAL work is in that
"Process of EDI" (as I like to call it... as you can tell) and it has very
little to do with the formatting structure.

> I'm a bit confused about the benefits of XML.  In a traditional
> EDI-intensive shop, where the supply-chain, time-critical documents

> Lee LoFrisco
> Sterling Commerce Service Partner Consultant
> VoiceMail: 614.210.2706
> Cell Phone: 410.963.6218
> eFax: 810.277.5002

Just a view from the trenches...