Dave and Andy,
Where did the "cost savings" for the SME go in light of this information?
It seems that the cost is being shifted around, not reduced. 18K a year
is fairly close to what I pay the VAN to transport and house my data now.
Again, where is the cost savings. It seems that the fence to e-commerce capability
is still one of money. An SME will have to still lay out an ante if they are going to
get into the game.
I find given the model presented below, that at best the costs are about the same. I know
that the model below will not fit all situations and god forbid that an 800 Lb gorilla gets
mixed into the projection. The model assumes that the implementer is going to do everything
to ensure that they are safe and that the implementer is well educated in e-commerce requirements.
I think that if you plug your associated number into the model below you will have a fairly
accurate number of what it will cost you to START UP. This cost analysis runs through year 5 of
an operation which will place you in an area of obsolescence.
I consider that the information passed under the model is application to application integration
of the data. Anything less will be required to add in the additional labor needed to gather
and enter the data into the system. Labor costs are calculated on a full time programmer being
employed and may be a little low. I'm calculating based on a $50.00 per hour wage and fringe
cost.
To do "e-commerce", one must have as a minimum these components to play. Pick one of either
component number 3 or 4 to arrive at a bottom line year one start up. You may be required
to use both 3 and 4 dependent on the capability of the trading partner. If your trading partners
are primarily customers, you will definitely be doing both.
Rule one is that the customer is always right.
Rule two, is in all other situations refer back to rule number 1.
1 An "interface" to their backend application that allows for the import/extract of data
for each system/transaction set EDI or XML. Cost to Build at $50.00 per hour fringe and
benefits for a programmer and figuring for on average of about six man weeks at 40 hours a
week. There are usually no off-the-shelf packages to accomplish this for you, and one
size does not fit all.
12,000.00 per system
2 An EDI/XML translator package. Purchasing a vendors product is assumed to be the
cheapest way to go as it is unknown how much time and programming resources are needed
to build one. I'll give you an SME quote for a PC based front end system. This is
the way most start into the game.
7,000.00 per license*
This cost is a recent quote from a vendor which I won't name. This is for a
larger fortune 500 corporation and I'm sure that the amount reflects that.
32,000.00 per license*
* It should be noted that these translator packages come in all sizes and flavors
and can very in price dependent on what your budget is. The common PC based
package will cost around $5,000.00 to $7,000.00. Cost increases as capability
and bells and whistles go up.
Each of the packages will have a service plan for support based on the needs of the company.
This varies by the vendor of the package and depends on the support plan needed. Very few
vendors will provide 7/24 support operations, but if they do, you will pay. Based on 5/8
support, you can expect this amount. It does differ between vendors.
2,000.00 per license.
3 To use the web, an encryption package to secure the data for transport over unsecured
web nodes as quoted below. It is assumed that the one time fee is best here. It is
assumed that an eventual break even point would be reached. This is optional but I
would say to you don't put your credit card number in your data if your not using it.
Also, don't expect privacy of your data.
52,000.00 per license
4 Use of a Value Added Network (VAN) Based on non-negotiated byte count amounts and the
users knowledge level.
Start up fee one time beginning dependent on VAN 500.00 to start
Byte push charges, they differ per van 9,600.00 based on volume
Subscription Fee 1,200.00 per year
Using the above quoted costs, here is the breakdown for the cost of getting into the game either
way for a well heeled SME to fully automate A/P, A/R, Purchasing, and Order Processing. We are
assuming that the trading partners for this SME are customers and that the SME is going to end
up complying with all the differences of the trading partner. This may or may not be the case.
Traditional EDI Start Up and operation for 5 Years assuming no obsolescence of interface or
translation packages.
1 Interface to Account's Payable 12,000.00 These first 4 are labor costs
2 Interface to Account's Receivable 12,000.00
3 Interface to Purchasing 12,000.00
4 Interface to Order Processing 12,000.00
5 Purchase of the Translator 7,000.00
6 Purchase of a support package 5/8 2,000.00
7 Subscription to One VAN(1) 1,200.00
8 Byte Count for data transmission via a VAN 9,600.00
----------
TOTAL $67,800.00 First Year Start Up
Once you are up figure about 1/2 of the development cost to maintain
the interfaces based on new trading partners and requirements in each
subsequent year.
1 Interface to Account's Payable 6,000.00 These first 4 are labor costs
2 Interface to Account's Receivable 6,000.00
3 Interface to Purchasing 6,000.00
4 Interface to Order Processing 6,000.00
6 Purchase of a support package 5/8 2,000.00
7 Subscription to One VAN(1) 1,200.00
8 Byte Count for data transmission via a VAN 9,600.00
---------
$36,800.00 Second through Fifth Year Operations.
Total 5 year cost of doing Traditional EDI. $215,000.00
(1) You may be looking at additional VAN's dependent on the needs of the trading partner (customer).
Traditional EDI/XML Start up and operations for 5 year period also assuming no obsolescence of the
translator, encryption package and assuming that you are only using web communications with trading
partners. All Trading partners are customers and SME will comply across the spectrum with all requirements
placed on Them,
1 Interface to Account's Payable 12,000.00 These first 4 are labor costs
2 Interface to Account's Receivable 12,000.00
3 Interface to Purchasing 12,000.00
4 Interface to Order Processing 12,000.00
5 Purchase of the Translator 7,000.00
6 Purchase of a support package 5/8 2,000.00
7 Purchase of an Encryption Package (one time) 52,000.00
8 Purchase of Support 5/40 5,200.00 10% of list is usual. ----------
TOTAL Year One Start Up Costs 114,200.00 First Year Start Up.
Again figure about 1/2 of the development costs to maintain interface through years 2 - 5.
1 Interface to Account's Payable 6,000.00 These first 4 are labor costs
2 Interface to Account's Receivable 6,000.00
3 Interface to Purchasing 6,000.00
4 Interface to Order Processing 6,000.00
5 Purchase of a support package 5/8 Translator 2,000.00
6 Purchase of Support 5/40 5,200.00 10% of list is usual.
----------
TOTAL Cost years 2 through 5 36,200.00 Year two through five costs.
Total 5 year cost XML/EDI via WEB. $259,000.00
Combined traditional and web based EDI/XML system start up and operations also assuming no obsolescence
of the translator, encryption or other components. This model assumes the use of both a VAN and
WEB based communications. All trading partners are customers and the SME will comply with all requirements
placed on them.
1 Interface to Account's Payable 12,000.00 These first 4 are labor costs
2 Interface to Account's Receivable 12,000.00
3 Interface to Purchasing 12,000.00
4 Interface to Order Processing 12,000.00
5 Purchase of the Translator 7,000.00
6 Purchase of a support package 5/8 2,000.00
7 Purchase of an Encryption Package (one time) 52,000.00
8 Purchase of Support 5/40 5,200.00 10% of list is usual.
9 Subscription to One VAN(1) 1,200.00
10 Byte Count for data transmission via a VAN 9,600.00 Cost varies dependent on volumes of data.
---------
TOTAL Costs year 1 start up. $125,000.00 First Year Costs of Start up.
Again figure about 1/2 of the development costs to maintain interface through years 2 - 5.
1 Interface to Account's Payable 6,000.00 These first 4 are labor costs
2 Interface to Account's Receivable 6,000.00
3 Interface to Purchasing 6,000.00
4 Interface to Order Processing 6,000.00
6 Purchase of a support package 5/8 2,000.00
8 Purchase of Support 5/40 5,200.00 10% of list is usual.
9 Subscription to One VAN(1) 1,200.00
10 Byte Count for data transmission via a VAN 9,600.00 Cost varies dependent on volumes of data.
---------
TOTAL COST, years 2 - 5 $ 42,000.00 Cost of operations years 2 - 5
TOTAL COST 5 Year operations WEB/Traditional Combined $293,000.00
Mark