> It is easier to map to a field called %buyer_tech_faxno in an
> intermediary file format. In fact the identification of a parameter in
> your application as %buyer_tech_faxno *is* the mapping. The nasty
> resolution to NAD/BY -> CTA/AT -> COM/FX is done by a fixed secondary
> mapping which your friendly EDI system vendor has already set up for
> you, and you need not know anything about.

We do somewhat the same thing with many of our maps, due to the complexity
of the interfaces that we deal with.  Most of our mappings go to a "generic"
intermediate map, which takes a simplistic application UDF as an input file
and generates a (much more complex) application UDF file that gets sent to
the application gateway.   Based upon our naming standards, where we use
"UGENE" as part of the file name to indicate a "generic" map, we
(semi-)fondly call these maps "Eugene" maps.

> This doesn't impact on a mappers capability of dealing with the variety
> of forms of application side data model; it is just simplifying the
> perceived complexity of the EDI side. This means that mapping can be
> performed successfully by those not wholly immersed (pickled might be a
> better word) in the niceties of the EDI transaction itself.

I vote "Pickled."   It also might be described accurately as "embalmed."

> My fans (my Mother, Bless her) will probably have guessed by now that I
> am riding a favourite hobby horse disguised by a different saddle cloth.
> "This intermediary file format is just a clumsy implementation of a
> repository concept" they say, scathingly. "Wouldn't you rather have a
> *real* repository implemented in your software?" - to which I can only
> reply, ecstatically, "Yes, please!".

And what would you tender as an example of a *real* repository?