Glenn,
I agree it would be a better world if your TP never sent data that you
cannot interpret.  Unfortunately, in the real world you will always receive
data you did not expect.  The traditional way and, not necessarily the best,
way of handling unexpected data is as follows:
Error Type                Action
Result
Syntactical            Validation against standard by translator
Functional Acknowledgement(997)
Semantic              Validation by application map
Ignore, modify, or Human intervention
Business Rule      Validation by business application                Human
Intervention or Error Message(824)

You also need to determine where the logical point to validate data is.  The
reason for the above hierarchy is that, first, the 997 was designed to be a
syntax checker only.  It is not meant to report semantic or business rule
errors.  It's not that you can't do what you suggest, it's just that that is
not what the 997 was designed for and as a result many EDI translators do
not support what you are asking for.  No translator I'm aware of has any way
of documenting the standards tables changes you may make.  Secondly,
maintaining IGs within the EDI standards tables provided with your
translator is a long-term maintenance nightmare.  It seems like a good idea
at first but changes in the IGs as well as product upgrades will quickly
dissuade you from that idea.  Thirdly, EDI translators are not programming
tools and have none of associated tools for creating, sharing, maintaining,
and documenting code.  Therefore, my recommendation based on a lot of
experience is that you choose the right tool for the job.  Keep the EDI
translator's job as simple as possible and you will not go prematurely gray.

The 997 is a Functional Acknowledgement not an Application Acknowledgement.
It was designed to acknowledge receipt and syntactical status.  Nothing
more.

What you suggest is a fine idea.  The issue is that the volatility of IGs
rule against it and neither the 997 nor EDI translators are designed to
support it.

Regards, Jim Divoky