-----Original Message-----
From: Rachel Foerster [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2001 5:56 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: Dual 997's

Mark,

While your explanation below is fine and can be generalized to most
industries, it really doesn't address Jonathan Showalter's question
regarding one vs two 997s and the circumstance surrounding the question.

The issue for the health care industry vis a vis compliance with HIPAA
transaction sets and codes is that in order to be "in compliance" the
"covered entity" must use the standard data as defined by the HIPAA IG as
well as the standard transaction format. The HIPAA regs stipulate that a
health plan/payer cannot reject an health care claim transaction, the 837
for example, if it complies with the standard.

The issue is that one can reject the asserted HIPAA transaction if it DOES
NOT COMPLY with the standard data AND the standard transaction format. This
has nothing to do with actually taking the claim data from the EDI system
and passing it to the claim adjudication system for further processing,
where the claim can be rejected, payment denied, pended, etc. for a variety
of reasons, none of which have anything to do with the HIPAA mandated
standard data and/or transaction format.

The real question is that the value of a 997 in the case of HIPAA standard
transactions which reports ONLY against the full X12 standard is
insuffficient. Rather, the question and the need is for a 997 to report
compliance not only against the X12 standard but ALSO the appropriate HIPAA
IG.

My personal opinion is that the 997 that will be of most value would be one
reporting against the HIPAA IG and not just against the standard.

I was under the impression that X12C and ultimately the X12 membership had
approved modifications to the 997 to allow and support reporting against
IGs - at the request of the U.S. gov. But, Jonathan Allen's comments lead me
to believe that this failed.

If in fact the 997 has been modified and approved to report against an IG
then in my mind there is another issue for the HIPAA impacted entities: The
HIPAA transaction sets are based on V4010. If the 997 was modified and
approved as requested, then that version would be a more current version,
such as V4030 or V4040, but certainly V4010 997 would not have the needed
functionality. The question then is can one process a transaction again
V4010 but return a 997 using a newer Version? I think this is highly suspect
and problematic.

Rachel Foerster

---

Jonathan,

There are two implementations of the 997 that I have
seen in practice.  These
are based on where the 997 actually gets created in
the process of receiving the
data, translating it and loading it to a back end
application.  The timing will
reflect the completeness of the information being
provided.  Standard 997 provides
for validity checking all the way down to the element
level.  This is pretty detailed,
but not well supported in translation packages.  It
requires going into the source data
received to really determine the cause of the problem
if an error or reject is received.
Reporting of each of these possible outcomes is
supported in most commercial translators
on the market.

In one instance, the 997 gets created immediately
after the translation process has
occurred that reflects the transaction was received
and translated on the receiver's
system.  This is the most common method used because
the translation program usually
produces this automatically for you.  It's the easier
way out.

The problem with this is that the viability of the
data in the receiver's application
is unknown at this point and the receipt of the 997
has not guaranteed that the data
will be able to be loaded and used by the receiver.
It can be assumed that the data
load was tested during implementation, but this may
not incorporate all the possible flavors
that one may see of a transaction as production data
is received and processed.

In the second instance, the translator's automatic
feature to produce the 997 is disabled
and the load process provides for the generation of
997 data which is passed back to the
translator much like any other transaction.  The
issues with this are self explanatory.
While this is the "more work" method of approaching
this, it is the more inclusive and
safer way to go.  It guarantees that the data actually
loaded to the receiver's application
with no errors.

There are issues such as the transaction that fails
during translation will not be
acknowledged.  This requires that the trading partner
monitor 997's for their outbound
transactions to ensure that all send are acknowledged.

It is incumbent on you to ensure where your trading
partner is actually sourcing the 997.
Where they source the information will provide insight
as to how complete the information
is that your getting as well as the integrity of the
data sent.

The common fallacy here is that I got the 997,
therefore, there is no problem with the data.
Dependent on where the 997 is created, this could be a
false statement.  I do not agree with
producing two 997's, one at each point.  It almost
sounds as if your trading partner has
not disabled the automatic feature in the translator
and also written logic into the application
in-load backend process to produce it after the data
is loaded.  You really might want to
ask a question here.

Under either of these approaches, the 997 must be
syntactically correct in order to be processed
on your system.  A 997 that crashes in translation is
as pesky as any other transaction.