What isn't practical?  Using the modem recommended by your primary VAN?  Your VAN
should recommend a high end modem
and have the scripts available to use it.  Do you think they are recommending
something that won't work with some
other VAN?   Of course, not.  I've never come across a modem that only works with a
specific VAN/customer.  People who
have modem questions obviously are starting out and connecting to their primary VAN or
customer is the main
consideration.  Everyone connects to more than one VAN, retailer, the Internet,
manufacturer, etc., nowadays.  That
doesn't mean you ignore your primary VAN's recommendations when you want to get up and
running quickly.

My recommendation wasn't directed to consultants.  Most EDI users do not have the
luxury of bringing someone to
install their modems for them.  My recommendation was for someone who doesn't work
with communications on a regular
basis and doesn't want to pay someone else to set them up and maintain their
connections.

UDS modems are fine and about the only ones I would consider other than Interactive
Systems. However, I haven't found
any modem manufacturer who had the experience with EDI VANs and major trading
partners(Wal-Mart, Ford, major banks,
etc.) that Interactive Systems has.

Jim Divoky