Hi all,

This is to follow on from our mailing list names discussion from
yesterday - which was also discussed in our weekly meeting.

On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 15:46 +1100, Dan McGarry wrote:

> >>The reasoning was to create the devel channels first, and if when the
> >>traffic grew to big to manage we would spilt the user support and
> >>discussion off.
> >
> > I remember that, yes. What I discussed with Oli, is that less people are
> > subscribing, because they see the list as a -devel list such as
> > ubuntu-devel and debian-devel, and not a support list. I've communicated
> > with many people who haven't joined the list yet, because of this
> > perception.
>
> Seconded. I subscribed with the expectation that I'd see a bunch of
> developers conversing. In fact, lists.ubuntu.com explicitly states
> "Edubuntu developer discussion":

Ok, it is clear to me that we are starting to have distinct and discreet
groups of 'users' vs 'developers', and while some may fall into both
categories, we definitely have people who would prefer to be in only one
or the other group.

However, it is not clear whether 'devel' and 'users' completely covers
it, since it seems much of the 'user' camp is proposing a place for talk
of Education topics and curriculum development.

Note Susan Addington's comments:
"I'm a user, and definitely have no time to deal with how to get sound
cards to work, etc. (I just throw out those technical e-mails.) I'm
waiting until the  system is really easy to install to even try it in a
lab.

I _am_, however, interested in developing curriculum that uses this
technology, and devising ways for teachers to adopt these new ideas.
(Without teachers, this won't happen.)"

Traditionally 'users' is a place for technical support for users. Susan
is not looking for this kind of discussion on the 'users' list she is
envisioning.

> I should also note that I think the decision to start with only one list
> is a good one. It improves the sense of community and helps to avoid the
> (somewhat false) distinction between users and developers.
>
> To sum up, this seems to be a 'truth in advertising' issue, if you will,
> and not 'whither Edubuntu?'
>
> > I don't think so. I suggested to Oli that we get an additional
> > 'edubuntu' list. He suggested that we rename the current one instead,
> > which would make sense, since he'd be on the 'normal' list anyway :)
>
> That seems like it would resolve the issue fairly easily.

Jeff Waugh (our mailing list administrator) has asked us not to create a
single "edubuntu" list as this goes against the current norms.

He proposes 2 lists, 'edubuntu-devel' and 'edubuntu'users'.

With this in mind it is unlikely we can change the current norms and use
totally diff conventions like ' edubuntu-tech' and 'edubuntu-educators'
etc.

Is creating *3* lists the solution?
'edubuntu-devel'
'edubuntu'users' and