Phil,
 I use the KDSP2 and generally like it very much. I set one of the DSP CW
filter settings to 50Hz bandwidth and increase the filter gain. Seems to help
for pulling weak ones out of the band noise under some conditions. I don't find
the sound of signals processed through the DSP filters a problem. The noise
reduction works, but requires experimentation with the settings to achieve
results. I can understand why some find the NR sound to be a bit unusual but it
is no worse than the audio DSP on my TS480.

Jeff
N7KRT