Phil

Others opinions may vary, but here is my experience - a K2 works well without
DSP.

Yes you already likely heard a base K2 is all analog.  But note that is has
this
feature - the xtal filter bandwidth is programmable.  I literally have mine set
up for 700, 400, 250 and 100 Hz bandwidth.  After getting these selectable
filters well centered - it acts a lot like using a DSP filter - and I find it
provides enough settings for CW.  The filter shapes are not quite as sharp as
DSP, but still pretty good.  Also with no DSP, the audio is pleasant to listen
to.  In my opinion, the rig works great with no DSP.

I also have the SSB filters set to vary from 1.6 kHz upward.  They also work
pretty well.  Here a DSP filter could help with adjacent frequency interference
by being sharper.

If you are planning on all CW, or even mostly CW, I suggest you can do well
without the DSP.  For many years my K2 was only equipped with 160m and SSB
options.

I do use a NESCAF external audio filter for pulling weak signals out on 160 and
80m.  It has a potentiometer for BW adjustment - which you might prefer over
the
internal fixed settings.

But I have this feeling you might be thrilled enough with using your K3 at QRP
levels, so you'll have to weigh do you really need this other rig in the shack,
or for travel when you have a KX1.  You could diversify your 'build' portfolio
by doing something homebrew and/or another QRP project (hint check Az Scorpions
and FourState for ideas).

73 Curt

Gang,  So, I am thinking that another kit is in my future.  I have a K3 and a
KX1 and I am thinking about the K2.  I would be using it for CW and QRP or
2*QRP
only.  So, I wouldn't plan on getting the SSB option and I am not planning on
the 100 watt PA or the ATU.  But, I do have questions about filters (remember,
CW usage only).  1.  Question:  is the radio a completely analog radio (no DSP)
if you DO NOT buy the DSP filter option?  2.  Question:  is the DSP filter
worth
the money?  3.  Question:  is the Audio filter useful?  Is the Audio filter
still useful if I buy the DSP filter?  Any other comments and suggestions are
definitely accepted.  73, phil, K7PEH