The K3EXREF is in field test now, as far as I know.  It might be a
little while before Elecraft puts it up for sale.

"Extreme accuracy" probably has two psychological and one scientific
source:
- The need to put the K3 dead-on frequency is reassuring to folks that
aren't sure it stays that way mostly as-is with the TCXO.
- The desire to be a frequency authority, and be able to help others
when they're off-freq.  Hams with older rigs sometimes end up shifted
off freq.  On HF, I hear this a lot.
- Knowing exactly what frequency you're on helps with band-edge
issues, for example between the Extra-only CW sub-bands and the
general CW sub-band.  With a 1 Hz readout, this is seldom a problem,
but it gets even better when the last digit also indicates the actual
carrier freq.

The K3 with just the stock TCXO holds the reference at somewhere below
1 PPM anyway.  This is probably accurate enough for almost everyone,
but some want near-perfect accuracy.  GPS time has an uncertainty of
around 0.3 nS, which is pretty low compared to 1PPM.  No TCXO can beat
that, but maybe an OCXO can?

73,
matt W6NIA