This was an excellent explanation.

I got a Trimble Thunderbolt off eBay for less than 200 bucks. It came from
China and came with an antenna and power supply. If you are going to get one
of the ones that come from China, make sure you get the power supply with
it. The domestic Thunderbolts have a unipolar supply but the ones from China
were specials and require a special bipolar power supply. As long as you're
getting the power supply with it, you're OK. I have not noticed any noise
from the power supply from China. I expect ferrites may solve the problem if
found.

It works just fine with the stock Thunderbolt software. I've had mine for
about 6 months and I've run tests using the Thunderbolt software. The PC
monitoring software allows you to monitor the errors detected and log them.
The accuracy is quite good. Although I see occasional errors greater than 1
part in 10^9, most of the measured errors are far less than 1 part in 10^9.
I can't find any of the spreadsheets I generated (from many hours of
operation) right now but I seem to recall that 1 sigma was down around 1
part in 10^10. This translates into a 1 Hz error at 10 GHz. The +/- 1 Hz
error in the K3 is much greater than the accuracy of the GPSDO

My primary reason for getting the GPSDO was for microwave and EME
operations. Being able to use it with the K3 is a plus. I'm likely to be an
early adopter of the production units when they become available. I will
probably order my second K3 with a K3EXREF.

Jerry - K0TV