(This is my THIRD try; -First one was sent out with text, but the
reflector had dropped all out, for some reason.  -Most likely, due to an
error on my part.  Second try failed the same way, so this third try is
a copy-and-paste from a text editor.)

The KX3's mic connector design-choice is a puzzle to me.  This short
copied part, quoted from an original posting below, describes the
issue's possible resolution:

"There are very small, pivoting mics available from places like Fry's
that have a 3-circuit plug. These are compatible with the KX3's mic
jack, too, and in fact allow you to use the KX3 like an HT (in a pinch)."

-This does not make sense to me.  Earlier in the post, he had mentioned:

"However, the mic jack can also be used with mics having a 3-circuit
(stereo) plug. These will not provide PTT or UP/DN controls, but can
still be used with VOX or the XMIT switch (equivalent to PTT)."

So, which is is??  First, he said that the 3-circuit plug will not offer
PTT.  Then, he offered that the 3-circuit devices from FRY'S, as an
example, would allow one to use the KX3 as a handheld radio.

To me, the actual DESIGN of the mic circuit in this way is extremely
unfortunate!!  (Why not disallow the up-down function for those who
might only have a 3-circuit plug in the junk box, not the extremely
common PTT function???!!!)  This is not a good design decision, I
honestly feel.  It is pointlessly unique.  (!!)

In view of the fact that a 4-circuit has the (assumed) ground, mic
audio/bias, PTT and up-down functions, could it not have been possible
to "allow" a person to use a 3-circuit plug, and enjoy the normal
(expected) functions of mic-with-PTT, and "ignore" the up-down functions?

Continuing with the assumption that the PTT function is not available if
one uses a 3-circuit plug, one can indeed use the serial port, VOX or
the radio's front panel TRANSMIT button to achieve the PTT function.  At
the simplest level that involves the serial port, this will involve a
connection to the serial port on the radio, plus a cable that will have
to be accommodated in orchestration with the mic in some way.   To me,
this is not as ideal as it could be.   So, if the radio is used as a
portable radio as an example, the operator would have to handle the mic,
the PTT and the radio in some way.  (This might be a little clumsy...)
But, to be completely fair, the radio can be popped into a back-pack,
which would have the added space to allow for a small battery, as
opposed to running the radio on it's built-in batteries.  But...  There
would possibly (LOGICALLY, actually!) still have to be two cables,
running to two items, (hand mic and PTT switch pill-box) to allow a
common means of operating the radio on SSB.

Buying the Elecraft supplied mic might be by far the best thing to do.

Like they say, "All it takes is money."

But there are more than a few that would like to scrounge the scrap
boxes, and wire up an old hand mic, desk mic, whatever is found to be
functional.

As the scrounger continues to look, they might likely find that they
have some of the very common 3-circuit plugs.  The 4-circuit plugs are
indeed available, but this will mean that the builder will, at the very
least, have to go out of his way to get the needed 4-circuit plug.  (-A
road trip or mail order, at the very least.)

The reason for my criticizing the design of the PTT/mic connection is
that of the possible designs, why was the very commonly "demanded"
function of a hand mic "denied" by offering PRIORITY to the coveted
up-down button functions??

In other words, could it not have been decided to include the ground,
the tip for audio/bias, and the PTT functions as the basic
connections..?  To me, I'd have to say YES to this possibility.  It
seems, at this very early date, that this is not the case, as the
"information source" had mentioned this.  Maybe this guy is has erred
with his assumption.  We will just have to wait.

73;
-Mike-
KØJTA