Yep; Easy enough to do: Wire one's own mic to the common 3-circuit
plug.  (DONE!)  Wayne has offered positive information which confirms
your feelings.

And, yes; A common "computer mic" may well NOT have a PTT switch.  I was
never considering this. Rather than a computer mic, I was thinking along
the lines of a retired hand or desk mic, and adapting the mic audio and
PTT to a plug that would access the desired ground-mic-PTT connections
in the KX3 radio.  Again, per Wayne's latest, this is indeed a possibility.

Thank you for your input, Don.

To all, let's call this case CLOSED.  (My typing "speed" is "NOT."
-Hence, the added email activities this day have been a very INTERESTING
but labor-intensive chore.)  Thanks to all who participated.  I believe
that more than one of us has learned all we need, at least for now.)

73;  -Mike-  KØJTA