I may stand corrected, if your assumption is correct.  (I have NO
problem in admitting an error.)  But, it does NOT seem that a 3-circuit
plug will be permitted access to the PTT function.  -Again, I really do
not know.  All I have to go by is the previously-copied entry from a
person who appears to be knowledgeable of this radio.

Yes, if one plugs in a 3-circuit mic, the audio will indeed be passed to
the radio.  -It is the (lack of) PTT function that is seemingly
"missing" to me, if the 3-circuit plug is employed.

The bottom line comes down to an "assumed convenience," without having
to drive 20 minutes one-way (in my case) to the nearest Radio Shack
store to buy, then assemble a 4-circuit plug.  (Which would hopefully be
done CORRECTLY, avoiding a possible boo-boo.)

73!     -Mike-     KØJTA