On 12/30/2011 1:22 PM, Phillip Nichols wrote:
> OK, how about an adaptter similar to What Yaesu offered for the VX
> series HTs. It plugs into their 4-circuit mic jack and presented a new
> jack with a 3-circuit. this was useful for cloning, digital work, or for
> programming. I have 2 of them for my VX. The other cable splits the
> 4-circuit into two separate jacks for Mic and Speaker. which can be used
> with 2-pin mics.

If you own a soldering iron and can find the right jacks and plugs, it's
easy to do this yourself. The Ham Interfacing power point on my website
lists part numbers for very good 3-circuit jacks and plugs, and a good
place to buy them for about a buck. I buy a dozen or so each of several
parts at a time and stick them in the junk box or sell them to my
friends, which gives me a discount and splits the shipping cost over
many pieces.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/publish.htm

It used to be standard practice for equipment manufacturers to provide a
matching plug for all connectors built into their equipment that might
be difficult to source.. I'd like to see Elecraft adopt this practice
for anything other than BNC and PL-259s.  The connectors and cables sold
by  hi-fi and computer vendors, and even by ham vendors, are nearly all
junk, but the connectors I've listed are decent quality.  It's FAR
cheaper for Elecraft to buy these connectors in 1,000 lots and stick
them in a parts bag than for us to buy them at the single piece price
and pay $10 for shipping.

73, Jim Brown K9YC