I've recently been experimenting with tuners. I have a "275 watt" Johnson
Matchbox (which
is actually good for more than a kW on CW in most cases) and a huge T network
that I just
built with a massive edge-wound rotary inductor and capacitors with air gaps of
about 3/8"
(near 10mm). The T network has a DX Engineering "5 kW" rated 1:1 balun on the
output.

The antenna is an 88-foot dipole fed with 500 ohm open-wire line and some
450-ohm ladder line.

I can switch between these tuners instantly. On 40 meter received signals I can
detect
absolutely no difference in signal strength. The T network is adjusted for the
least
possible inductance that gives a 1:1 SWR, and the output capacitor is at
maximum (300 pf
air plus 300 pf ceramic padder)..

There is also no difference in noise level. If one of the tuners provided
better balance,
one would expect that there would be less noise pickup on the feedline. But I
don't see this.

One anomalous result: there is a weak unstable carrier that I can hear on the
Matchbox but
not on the T network. I have verified that this is not a birdie, but an actual
signal. It
could be attributed to feedline pickup -- but wouldn't you expect the matchbox
to be
better in this regard? I'm investigating further.

On 3/10/2012 12:31 PM, Erik Basilier wrote:
> As has been clearly demonstrated in this thread, there are multiple methods
> of measurement. The one that gets my vote for elegance is the one with two
> tuners back-to-back. With respect to the method that measures temperature
> rise, taking into account the mass of the tuner, one also needs to take into
> account the specific heat capacity of the tuner. One kilo of material x
> doesn't heat up at the same rate as one kilo of material y when the same
> heating power is applied. The tuner will of course be a mix of materials, so
> one would have to measure the rate at which the tuner heats up when heat is
> applied through a know heating source rather than TX power. If it is done
> that way, one needs to know neither the mass nor the specific heat capacity,
> since what one is measuring is essentially the mass times the specific heat
> capacity.
>
> 73, Erik K7TV

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA