Bolometers work at pretty low (milliwatt) power levels and you would need to
use an attenuator, which could add some error to the measurement.  Hewlett
Packard made the HP434A Calorimetric Power Meter, which could measure up to 10
watts by matching the temperature in a load with that caused by DC power (which
can be accurately measured).  I often used one in the early 1960s (this was at
work--they were a bit pricey for ham use).

Bob, N7XY

On Mar 10, 2012, at 4:56 PM, Fred Townsend wrote:

> Ron, Rick, Erik: There are many reasons why temperature measurements are a
> poor way of evaluating a tuner. There is a method of power measure based on
> temperature rise. It's called a bolometer.  It only works well if the mass
> involved is small. Wiki bolometers if you want the details.
>
> I think there is an even more important reason not to use this approach.
> Let's consider the case where the transmitter has a very strong second
> harmonic say -10db. If the tuner is doing its job, tuning, not just
> matching, the 2nd harmonic will be tuned or filtered out. 10% of the energy
> will be lost. What becomes of that energy? In an ideal world that energy
> would be reflected into a dummy load, like when you use a circulator. Since
> most tuners don't have circulators, part of the energy will be dissipated in
> the tuner and part will be reflected back to the transmitter. That energy
> that is dissipated in the tuner is a measure of how well, not how poorly,
> the tuner is working. BTW in this case measuring SWR at the transmitter will
> also suggest the tuner is not doing its job well when it is.
>
> Now we know good rigs don't have strong harmonics but I think I have
> illustrated why measuring heat is not a good measure of performance.
>
> 73, Fred, AE6QL

_____
N7XY DX Cluster Node - telnet to n7xy.net, port 7300