So, the Calorimetric HP meter uses the same principle as my suggested
measurement, with the only difference being that HP performs the reference
measurement simultaneously with the target measurement rather than
sequentially.

Erik K7TV

>Hewlett Packard made the HP434A Calorimetric Power Meter, which could
measure up to 10 watts by matching the temperature in a >load with that
caused by DC power (which can be accurately measured).  I often used one in
the early 1960s (this was at work-->they were a bit pricey for ham use).