Vic,

Be aware that loss in the tuner can reduce the signal pickup - I would
not be so quick to pass judgement that the Matchbox is less efficient
than the T-network tuner - I know the link coupled tuner (properly used)
is more efficient.

You may want to double check your test conditions and instrumentation.

73,
Don W3FPR.