Jim,

The answer to your question is steeped in the many requests for the
KAT500 - Each station has its own set of antennas.  Some do have all
resonant antennas and do not need the tuner, but that does not seem to
be the majority - thus the demand for the KAT500.  In the meantime, some
are using manual tuners or are restricting their operation to those
bands where their antennas are resonant.

I would suggest that the answers vary "all over the board".  In my
particular case, I run resonant antennas due to an agreement with the
XYL when we married - she said she did not want to see antennas or
feedlines when coming up the driveway.  That has been accomplished, but
at the expense of long feedlines (150 feet minimum, 220 feet typical),
so I keep the SWR low at the antenna field end of things and use
resonant antennas.

73,
Don W3FPR